----- NOTE -----
I am in the process of maintining this site. Some content has not been updated. Thanks.
Little appears to be known about Achille Leonardi himself although his paintings can be found in collections around the world. Achille lived in Rome in the period between 1800 and 1870.
Owners of some of the paintings shown here have provided background on how the paintings came into their hands. Some came from deceased estates and others were sold because the original owners suffered financial failures. However, the present owners all express their love of their paintings and have in many cases had the works restored at substantial costs. Many of the works now hang in countries as distributed as Argentina, Australia, Mexico, New Zealand, Netherlands and Unites States. You can always find records of their sale at worldwide auctions.
Achille studied art at the Accademia di San Luca but as he didn't win any prizes there were no remaining records of his attendance. A lot of his early works were copies of other masters.
Where Achille Leonardi lived in Rome
Achille always lived near the arti district of Rome. Two addresses were prominent. He maintained studios on Via del Baubino (street of the Baboons) at two different addresses at different times. Prior to that he lived at Via del Quattro Fontane (Street of four fountains). Addresses were usually included with his signature on the paintings.
Some works were sold from Galleria Barberini at 77 via di Spagna, Rome (3rd floor apartment 1).
Via del Babuino 66
Via del Quattro Fontane 17
Number 17, on the right, no longer exists. A new building was erected there in 1936. The old residence was located on property within the Babarini Palace.
Entrance to the Palazzo Barberini.
The site was purchased in 1625 by Maffeo Barberini, of the Barberini family, who became Pope Urban VIII. Street number 17 was in a building on the Barberini property, in front of which this picture was taken. All indications are that Achille's mother Nicola and father worked at the Barberini palace and the family lived at number 17.